Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

B is for Bunny Boots and Block Heaters

Source: Wikimedia Commons
Bunny boots, also called vapor barrier boots, were originally designed by the United States Military in order to protect feet in sub-zero temperatures. They are insulated with felt and wool, and are named after snow shoe rabbits, or Arctic hares. The snow shoe rabbits have large hind feet and their fur changes from brown to white in the winter so that they blend in with the snow. Apparently the snow shoe rabbits are common around the U.S. Army base Ft. Greeley and they provided the inspiration for the name of the boots.

Source: Wikimedia Commons

While I was researching my novel Polar Night, I learned about block heaters for cars. My main character Danny, who lives in Fairbanks, buys a block heater after moving to Alaska and has to plug his car in each night when he parks it. The block heaters help the cars start up and also help keep the coolants and oils warm.


Source: Wikimedia Commons


Just reading about both of these frigid weather supplies made me cold! I'm glad they're not things I have to deal with, although I can't deny that I would love to have my own pair of bunny boots, just because. :)

Do you, or have you ever, lived in a place that's cold enough to require block heaters or bunny boots? I'm happy to say I have not. 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar